Stratego - The many versions. Which one do you buy?

Have you seen "Stratego" by Milton Bradley on the web and wondered which one to buy? Well, I think the 1975 version that is pictured to the left is an excellent edition of the game. While the pieces are plastic, you do get the 50's looking cardboard insert showing the family and explaining the object of the game. Even the new "Nostalgia Version", lacks the original wood pieces from the 50's for Stratego and replaces them with metal pieces.

From the insert with the family, "A most fascinating two-handed strategy game. The object of Stratego is to outwit your opponent and capture his Flag. The beautiful tiles have a military rank stamped on one side in gold or silver. Pieces rank from the lowly but dangerous spy up to the powerful Field Marshall. During the game, the rank of the tiles are kept hidden as the players move around the board, attacking and eliminating opponent's pieces in their search for the hidden flag. Easy to learn. Never plays the same twice." Okay, now that is just excellent. Such a simple but exciting game! Stratego was a game we had at my parent's beach house and one that we played often.


Now, if you want to feel nostalgic, you can purchase the Nostalgic Stratego from Toys R US and Amazon. However, you get the metal pieces and a weird board. You'd have more fun purchasing an early version of Stratego with Wood Playing Pieces. They can be found on ebay, but they are expensive. For me, personally, I really like to look at the inserts and the artwork in board ga mes. I really enjoy that a lot. The 1975 version suits me well, and I like the General on the front of the box. I guess he's pointing to the Flag

Next time? I'll write about RISK!

No comments: