Why is NOW a good time to buy games for your collection??

Wow. I have been really surprised lately at how low many of my auctions have been going for. I started my eBay business in the "dot.com" bust of 2000. At that time, I was able to make a good amount of money but I think the hit on the economy was limited to the IT sector. The economic issues we are dealing with now are having broader implications on our economy. Face it, we are in a recession and people are just not spending their extra money on games and toys.

So, the market presents two dilemmas: One problem is that because of the economy, people are not spending so much on the excess things like games and toys. So, sales are slightly down for the dealers and auctioneers. The second dilemma is more of an opportunity created by the economy - now is the time to buy for the core collection. I am continuing to sell on eBay, but I am being very careful about what I purchase at the Thrift Store. I am watching my margins very closely.

What I am finding on eBay, however, is that the market for some of the items I want to round out my core collection of games has come down in the past few months. I do expect that we will see a slight uptick in trading prices as we draw closer to the Christmas Holiday. (Summer is notorious for low sales on eBay - it's the season of the yard sale!) So, now is a great time to be buying up games that you know will trade decently and hold on to some gems ($50 or more trade value) to sell at Christmas. Look for deals on eBay to help complete a good game or buy that gem you have always wanted!

No comments: