From the "Core Collection" Series: 2-XL by Mego


2-XL - The Talking Robot with a personality! From time to time, I am going to dig into the "core collection" and pull out my favorite toys or games. 2-XL was one of my favorite toys as a young boy. Amazing how pleased I was at pushing the buttons on a standard 8-track player, and having this silly robot tell me the dumbest jokes in the world! What was the draw for me?

I have always wanted a robot! When I saw the commercial for 2-XL, I was immediately hooked. Being a 10 year old boy, I thought a lot about things like robots and how they would hopefully one day be a real thing! Two tapes for 2-XL that really got my attention was "Strange but True Stories" and "Science Fiction." My parents later got me Tri-Lex, which was an add on game with checker type playing pieces that attached to the front of the 2-XL. I actually enjoyed playing with 2-XL, and I wanted more tapes!

Unfortunately, I grew faster than I could acquire tapes/accessories and 2-XL was forced into the closet where he eventually found his way to a Thrift Store. YES, my mother gave my 2-XL in the box to the local thrift store when I went away to college!!! See? These are the reasons that some of us collect when they are 40: we have to get back what our mothers tossed out!! I'll ignore the fact that she was probably right to give it away, but I think it was my choice!!! I digress, but my passion has taken me to the present where I now have almost every tape and add-on for the 2-XL.

Obviously, collecting the accessories and tapes is the way to complete your 2-XL obsession (if you have one!). However, my purpose in writing this blog is to encourage you to round out your 2-XL collection by adding cool things like rare 8-Track tapes of bands from the 70's and my favorite - an AM/FM tuner for your 8-track player!!! Ultimately, what will make this collection more valuable are the add-ons. So, while you are out there hunting don't forget to check the 8-track tape section for cool extras like a radio tuner for your 2-XL!!

No comments: