Still hunting for games in 2010


Hello. Long time, no blog. Well, too busy with a new job, move, and a baby girl!! My new years resolution was to blog a little more in 2010. I went through 2009 without one blog! That's how much my life has changed, but I still go to the stores and hunt out games. I have definitely grown more conservative with the economy. I really only grab those games now that I know will make twice my money for me. The Fantasy area still remains a good find - IE: Lord of the Rings RISK. Something about the geek factor and that they will pay high dollar for items they really desire.
It's a little different search here in KY. The Thrift Stores are OK, but I am told that the yard sales are the way to go! I still go to the stores, but I don't pick up 1/2 as much as I used to in the DC area. I have found over this past year in a Good Will Store a Stratego Game with Wood Pieces that I sold on eBay for $50. I found some other items but they didn't hit the profit that the Stratego game brought me. As I have said in the past, it really comes down to knowing what you are looking for and making sure that you can sell for a good profit.
My recommendation for 2010? Only pick up the games that you know can turn a 40 to 50% profit for you. Seriously, it's not worth it considering the higher eBay fees that now exist to hunt for games that only give you your money back. YES, continue to pick up games for parts. I purchased an incomplete Risk game (2007 version) recently and will hold until I find another one to complete. 30% profit is not bad, but try to factor in the eBay fees and you may only be looking at a 20% profit margin. You now have insertion fees and final valuation fees, so that eats at your profits. In the coming weeks, I'm going to go through how to list on eBay and what kinds of games are good to hunt for in this bad economy.
Happy Hunting!






No comments: