Atari 2600 - Heavy Sixer

They call it the "heavy-sixer" Atari 2600 system. It was the first system that atari produced and it was very heavy. You have to plug the joysticks into the top back of the unit! I picked the unit up for $30, listed it on eBay for $49.99 (starting bid), and sold it for $63. Not bad. I did pull out some of my doubles to add some cartridges to it, and it was worth it for me to hold onto an old Combat game in the box purchase from another thrift store trip.



Having an inventory of parts or cartridges for pieces like the Atari system, will help you to build a more robust auction and get your investment back and possibly yield more! The eBay market has certainly returned over the past year and a half. I've seen many of my auctions yield better prices than late '08 and early '09. The trick for me has been to build an inventory, and then when I find something like this Atari, I have things that I can add in to the auction that will help me get more bids.


The "heavy-sixer" is the Atari to watch out for at the yard sales, auctions, and thrift stores. Since it is the first one, it will probably need some cleaning up and you can find videos on youtube that show you how to clean and repair an old atari or any system for that matter. When you can find one like I did, in the box, that also adds to what the collector desires. Oh, and I ordered an instruction booklet off of eBay and threw that in.

Happy Hunting, and I'll be sure to post soon!

No comments: